Sunday, March 22, 2009

Why do women feel inadequate?

It seems that the more I talk to other women, the more I realize just how alike we really are.  Now I know this is no new concept or anything, but it just surprises me how similarly we think, we feel, and act.  It comes as no surprise that there is a stark contrast between men and women, but I must confess that one thing I admire about the men in my life is that they don't compare themselves to others and they really seem to be content with what they have: physically, mentally, intellectually etc.  Women, on the other hand, feel this constant need to be perfect in whatever task or endeavor they may be asked to do.  Not only in that, but the desire to be smart, and pretty, and skinny, and kind, and talented.  It just seems like the list could go on and on.  Now I know it is important that we are constantly trying to improve and make progress in our individual lives, but I feel that we as women are just too hard on ourselves.  I love what President Uchtdorf, the second counselor of the presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, said this in regards to women,"To me it appears that our splendid sisters sometimes undervalue their abilities—they focus on what is lacking or imperfect rather than what has been accomplished and who they really are.  Perhaps you recognize this trait in someone you know really well.The good news is that this also points to an admirable quality: the innate desire to please the Lord to the best of your ability."

No comments:

Post a Comment