Monday, March 2, 2009

"Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters"

So I came across this book entitled "Perfect Girls, Starving Daughter," by Courtney E. Martin that discusses the frightening new normalcy for girls to hate their bodies.  I was quite intrigued with the title of this book, and that got me looking into the contents of it even further.  I haven't read the whole book yet, but I think that Courtney Martin is able to shed some light on a troubling trend that seems to affect many if not most all young girls to some degree.  It is a book filled with information from expert psychologist, as well as interviews from hundreds of young girls with some form of an eating disorder.  It is a wake up call to many people that dissatisfaction with their bodies is an epidemic that is troubles girls everywhere and of every ethnicity.  We can no longer claim ignorance to this sickness that affects the mother, the daughter, the sister,  the friend.  I am sure all of us know someone in our lives that has been affected by anorexia or bulimia.  These are the girls that are crying out for help; they are the girls that are striving for a perfection that is near impossible to achieve.  Now I am not talking about ambitious young women who are striving to meet their aspirations and dreams.  I am talking about those who are sacrificing themselves, their health, and their happiness to be something they are not.  It is time we have the mentality to love our bodies, imperfections and all, and help those around us do the same! 

1 comment:

  1. I read this book while in high school for an English class. I found it really interesting that eating disorders aren't really about food, but rather about something deeper. I had no idea that these disorders are much more than just about weight and poor body image. Its just another way some people try to cope and deel with stree and other challenges in life. I would recommend the book. It's great.

    ReplyDelete